A Cult Car

This is a blog on refurbishing a Volvo 240 Wagon-- a cult car that is legendary for its durability. The 5 speeds manual transmission in particular gets great fuel economy, 32.5 mpg is attainable at speeds of 60 mph. Both the sedan and the wagon have plenty of rear leg and head room, even for tall people. Additionally, a tall person can sleep in the back--it is 77" long if the rear seat bottom is removed.

Thick sheet metal make it durable--so is the motor. Volvo took a V8 truck engine cut in half, to make this 4 cylinder engine. It has bearings and rods are designed for much heavy loads and this makes the engine nearly impossible to kill. People can get literally a million miles between rebuilds with regular oil changes and normal preventative maintenance.

The 5 speeds cars are fun to drive. Their durability means it is a smart economic choice to put money into them--they will last indefinitely if maintained. Parts are cheap. They are easy and simple to work on. Police just don't ever pull them over. It is because they like to stay at legal freeway speeds and purr along at 60 mph--so police expect them to be driven slowly. Finally, they are safe--built around a full roll cage. These are the reasons why there are so many are still on the road today.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Introduction

I bought a Volvo 240 Sedan for my niece when she turned 16. I wanted her to learn to drive a stick shift, in a safe car, that got good fuel economy. She delayed getting her license, so as I rebuilt the brakes, replaced the bearings, fixed the fuel tanks sensor, etc, I started driving it. I discovered that it was really fun to drive. I drove it about a year and missed it when she finally got her license and learned to drive it. The only thing I did not like about it was the fact that is was a sedan, not a wagon. Years ago, my brother had the previous version of this car and I had an opportunity to sleep in the back one night and was amazed how comfortable it was. As the years past car styles changed and cars/SUVs became shorter and lost that wonderful space in the back. To haul building materials you need a pickup truck.

Our sedan is a 1992 model year. This is the last full year of production and features black trim, without chrome, and a black grill. These are minor differences, but I like that look better than the other years. The 1993 year was a short production year and they went back to a chrome surround on the grill--which I don't like--but this can be changed I suppose. The 1993 had a few more features I liked, like sound insulation in the hood. I can always add that in later at some point. So my goal was to find a 1990 t0 1993 Wagon in a color I liked. Color choice is actually hard, as Volvo was notorious for ugly paint colors--weird pastels for example. Also I wanted cloth seats, power windows, and if possible heated seats and power mirrors--these last two can be added easily enough.

After two years of searching I found a 5 speed wagon. I named it Sea Dog because the black and silver look matched the coat of my Portuguese Water Dog. Sea Dog had worn and cracked front turn signals, one new headlight--the other looked yellowed and faded, a rust hole visible when the back passenger door was opened, a small amount of surface rust on the front drivers side fender, a missing antenna, blown spare tire, and broken wiring in the tailgate. I bought it for $1705.



No comments:

Post a Comment