A Cult Car

This is a blog on refurbishing a Volvo 240 Wagon-- a cult car that is legendary for its durability. The 5 speeds manual transmission in particular gets great fuel economy, 32.5 mpg is attainable at speeds of 60 mph. Both the sedan and the wagon have plenty of rear leg and head room, even for tall people. Additionally, a tall person can sleep in the back--it is 77" long if the rear seat bottom is removed.

Thick sheet metal make it durable--so is the motor. Volvo took a V8 truck engine cut in half, to make this 4 cylinder engine. It has bearings and rods are designed for much heavy loads and this makes the engine nearly impossible to kill. People can get literally a million miles between rebuilds with regular oil changes and normal preventative maintenance.

The 5 speeds cars are fun to drive. Their durability means it is a smart economic choice to put money into them--they will last indefinitely if maintained. Parts are cheap. They are easy and simple to work on. Police just don't ever pull them over. It is because they like to stay at legal freeway speeds and purr along at 60 mph--so police expect them to be driven slowly. Finally, they are safe--built around a full roll cage. These are the reasons why there are so many are still on the road today.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Thule Cargo Carrier


I've been thinking about prepping for a long trip. Once issue is storing dirty laundry so as not to stink up the car. My idea is some sort of cargo box on top of the car, like a Thule Cargo Carrier. Another option is to carry a hitch mounted trunk. These probably reduce wind resistance, compared to a Thule Roof Mounted Carrier, which increases wind resistance, lowering fuel economy one or two mpg. The hitch mounted carriers are really just platforms so I would still need a waterproof box to hold whatever I wanted to store in there--those would prevent opening the rear hatch--I don't like that idea much at all. I really like the Thule carriers because they open from both sides, and if properly secured, they will not let any water in, and don't interfer with opening the rear hatch door. I used one on a trip to Florida and we kept the inside of the car nearly empty so that the rear seat could be folded down for two teens to sleep while we were driving. The storage capacity was amazing, and the weight on top didn't seem to effect handling all that much, because the weight was centered and we had a good, tight suspension.

I discovered that Thule makes a swing away hitch mounted cargo carrier (left). This makes a bit more sense, since you can still open the hatch. Another issue is mounting a license plate to it. I have not mounted my front plate. Connecticut requires a front plate but they have gone back and forth so many times between requiring one and not requiring one, that I am not concerned. No Judge would convict me of this traffic violation given the inconsistency of the law. So, this carrier adds weight farther back, but should not impact fuel economy, except for the weight penalty.
Thule does make a swing away carrier that fits in a 1.5" hitch receiver--which is what I have. It is like having a second trunk and includes lights and a license plate mount.

As I am single now, on road trips, it will be just me and the dog, more than likely, so I can store things inside using a waterproof, odor proof sailing bag--which won't allow things to dry out, but will contain the odor of smelly clothes until I can wash them. I may need all that space in the back if I find a partner that likes car camping. There is room for two people to sleep in a pinch, if there is nothing else back there. So I am leaning towards getting a Thule roof top Cargo Carrier since I already have load bars. These come in silver which would match the car well. The Carrier to the right, is both aerodynamic and stylist...list price $810.

Some of the Thule carriers are very wide. That might limit my options putting a kayak on the roof. Wider load bars might fix that. The final issue is all of these things need a place to be stored when not in use.

1 comment:

  1. My sister has a Thule carrier and loves it. The extra space it will give you in the car will be invaluable

    The Tuckerbag

    ReplyDelete